Monday 24 October 2011

A Very Theatrical Weekend

This weekend I went with Rachel to see Second City (a famous sketch comedy and improve group based in Chicago) at Northwestern. The name of their show, in honor of our mascot was, "Wildcat on a Hot Tin Roof."

The show was actually much funnier than I was expecting. However, we found that to satirize Northwestern they didn't actually have to exaggerate much. For example, one of their sketches was about an incoming freshman who planned to triple-major in engineering, music, and economics... that's a combination I'm actually pretty sure I've heard before...

They also sang us a song called, "We're Big 10 (But We're Also Ivy League)." And as we lost our Homecoming game this weekend, one of the more telling (and shortest) sketches went like this:

A girl and boy sit on two chairs, cuddling
Girl: You know, I've never been to the stadium on game day before.
Boy: (nuzzling her hair) I just wanted to come somewhere where we could be alone...
End Scene





Then, the next night, I went down to the city and met Jackie at Navy Pier, where we saw Murder for Two a musical comedy at the Chicago Shakespeare Center. 
All I knew about the show was that it was popular enough its run had been extended four times and it was billed as follows, "A two man show: both men play the piano and one man plays all 13 suspects!" 

How could you go wrong? It was indeed quite funny. Both men were very talented pianists and performers. It was not high art by any means, but it was quite a good time. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who needs a laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment